WinselerHof is one of the oldest farms in the area around Landgraaf. There are records of the Winzeler farmstead dating back as far as 1155. The name probably comes from the German word “Winzer”, wine grower. Old data shows that grapes were grown just a few hundred metres away. Over the centuries, the farmstead had had a variety of owners and tenants. The first recorded owner was the Count of Saffenburg, and one of the last owners was the Keybets family.
Part of the quadrangular farmhouse was built of field fire brick, cut and fired on site, while the rest was built of wooden timber. The roof was thatched until the end of the 19th century. The horses, pigs, cows and sheep were kept in the stables and stalls around the courtyard, complete with manure heap, and the farmer’s residence was also here.
Very few changes were made to the farmstead after 1920, but the building suffered a great deal of damage due to subsidence resulting from mining in the immediate area around the farm from 1943 onwards. Consequently, part of the barn collapsed in 1981.
In 1985, having taken over WinselerHof from the municipal council of Kerkrade, Camille Oostwegel began work on restoring and refurbishing the farmstead, converting it into a hotel and restaurant.