In 1747, Neercanne was used as a residence by Prince Karl August Friedrich of Waldeck, the commander-in-chief of the Dutch troops. A century later, the castle came into the hands of Baron de Cler and was later inherited by Ignatius de Thier. During the definitive establishment of the borders between the Netherlands and Belgium in 1839, Ignatius de Thier made sure that Château Neercanne was situated within the Dutch borders.
The great-granddaughter of de Thier, Louise Euphrasine Maria Poswick, was the last person of noble birth to live at Château Neercanne. She sold the castle to the Stichting Limburgs Landschap (Limburg Landscape Foundation) in 1947. The castle was in very poor condition at the time. The only terraced castle in the Netherlands was restored and was rented by the Brand brewery (Wijlre) from 1955 onwards. The brewery established a restaurant there.
In 1984, Camille Oostwegel took over the running of Château Neercanne. Since then, three of the four castle terraces have been restored to their former glory and now fall under the protection of UNESCO. On 9 December 1991, Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was a very special guest at Château Neercanne, holding a festive lunch for the government leaders of the member states of the European Union.