History

Château Neercanne as it is known today was built in 1698 by the then Military Governor of Maastricht, baron Daniël Wolf van Dopff. He used the castle as a country estate and guest accommodation, and also held receptions and feasts there. One of the most famous visitors was Tsar Peter the Great in 1717. He was particularly interested in the new Château Neercanne and the terraced gardens. Daniël Wolf van Dopff died in 1718.

In 1747, Neercanne was used as a residence by Prince Karl August Friedrich of Waldeck, the commander-in-chief of the Dutch troops. A century later, the castle came into the hands of Baron de Cler and was later inherited by Ignatius de Thier. During the definitive establishment of the borders between the Netherlands and Belgium in 1839, Ignatius de Thier made sure that Château Neercanne was situated within the Dutch borders.  

The great-granddaughter of de Thier, Louise Euphrasine Maria Poswick, was the last person of noble birth to live at Château Neercanne. She sold the castle to the Stichting Limburgs Landschap (Limburg Landscape Foundation) in 1947. The castle was in very poor condition at the time. The only terraced castle in the Netherlands was restored and was rented by the Brand brewery (Wijlre) from 1955 onwards. The brewery established a restaurant there. 

In 1984, Camille Oostwegel took over the running of Château Neercanne. Since then, three of the four castle terraces have been restored to their former glory and now fall under the protection of UNESCO. On 9 December 1991, Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was a very special guest at Château Neercanne, holding a festive lunch for the government leaders of the member states of the European Union.
Reservations

If you would like to book a table, please contact us on +31 (0)43 325 13 59 or fill in the form below (at least 24 hours in advance). Note: your booking is only definite once we have sent confirmation.

Persoonsgegevens
Telephone number
E-mail address
Restaurant
aantal
kinderen
Special details

Fields marked with a * are compulsory